Thursday, July 3, 2014

A633.5.3.RB- Reflections to Chaos

A633.5.3.RB- Reflections to Chaos
            Observing the chaos game video really opened my eyes to what chaos theory means.  Throughout the week’s readings I learned what chaos theory meant, but I never truly understood it until watching the video.  I knew that allowing some chaos could actually become a more effective way of leading than trying to control everything, but I could not think of an example.  Then, watching the video made the light bulb come on and I understood how simple chaos could make things.  The people in the video would never have been able to organize themselves so quickly had a leader attempted to do it. 
            This epiphany made me reflect on some of our discussions this week about organizations and following the eight principles.  I have seen and discussed the micro-managing that takes place in the Air Force, just as Meghan discussed it in the Navy and other students mentioned it as well.  After watching that video, it really became clear to me how detrimental it can be.  For example, there are processes that are enforced that make no sense to me.  I was tasked with compiling a spreadsheet that included all 150 members of my squadron’s remaining semi-annual training.  Think about that task. Going through 150 people’s records to find out what training each person still needed to do.  I asked, “Wouldn’t it be easier if I just emailed each person their record sheet and told them to email me back with what they still needed?” I was told that I had to stick to the rules and the way the process is done, and therefore had to waste hours and hours completing a task that could have taken just minutes if I utilized the chaos of the whole organization. 
            Chaos is the micro-manager’s worst nightmare, but the efficient leader’s best friend.  When leaders are controlling and have to do everything or insist that they hold their employees’ hands through every single process, they are extremely inefficient and a detriment to the organization.  When leaders allow chaos to exist, they allow for a much more efficient organization.  Yes, it is riskier to allow chaos as there may be some mistakes made and minor set-backs, but the results attained from the chaos will far outweigh the small consequences.  

No comments:

Post a Comment